30 Aug 2020
If you are thinking about having cosmetic surgery or have perhaps already committed to having the operation, you should bear in mind that aftercare and sticking to the advice your surgeon gives you is absolutely paramount. Make the most out of your surgery by sticking to the following key points:-
- Choose a well known and reputed clinic for Cosmetic Surgery.
- Make sure you have a full consultation with the surgeon to ensure your goal is going to be fulfilled.
- Make your surgeon aware of any medications you are allergic to. Even if it doesn’t seem relevant, it could be, so be on the safe side.
- You should bear in mind that you will be feeling less than 100% after your operation.
- As well as the operation itself you may have a general anesthetic that can hang around in your system for a while.
- Don’t plan on jetting off on a world cruise or other holiday immediately after your operation, it is likely you won’t feel well enough.
- You may want to get away, convalesce without the scrutiny of others but wait to see how you feel afterward.
- If you choose a good surgeon or clinic, side effects or complications should be minimal but make sure you are fully informed as to what to expect.
- If you get home and notice something unusual that you weren’t expecting, don’t hesitate to get in touch with the doctor.
- If your surgeon gives you medication after your operation, make sure you take it as advised. Don’t forget to mention any other medication you may be taking for other medical conditions, not all drugs mix well.
- You will likely be left with temporary scar tissue or scabs after your surgery. Don’t pick it as this could lead to permanent scarring and/or infection.
- Keep yourself hydrated. You should do this anyway, but it’s especially important after surgery.
- Be very kind to your skin, particularly in the affected area. Keep it clean using gentle soaps and moisturizers and keep out of the sun. If you have to go out, use a cream with SPF of 30-40 but not a sunblock.
- Some surgeries will such as Rhinoplasty (nose job) require you to keep your head up, follow all the advice given, whatever your surgery for the best results and a speedy recovery.
This is a general list; clinics/doctors will offer you specific advice for your particular procedure and circumstances.