24 Aug 2015
Ringworm is a common infection in children caused by a fungus. It is the result of a worm, but it gets its name due to the ring-shaped, it causes rash. Ringworm is a contagious infection that is spread by skin to skin contact and spreads in schoolchildren mostly. If your child has ringworm, you can treat ringworm in children (the infection) at home. Most infections are cleared within two to four weeks with consistent treatment. If you are uncertain that your child has ringworm, get in touch with your pediatrician or dermatologist before you yourself go to treat ringworm in children (the infection).
Ringworm is a contagious fungal infection, alike to the fungus, reasoning of athlete’s foot. The infection appears as rounded or ring. The infection can cause itching and children commonly suffer in it. The rings may have a crusty appearance, but generally the center skin is intact. These can appear on the thighs, stomach, arms, back, nails and even on the scalp. Tinea infections have different names, depending on the affected area. Thus when presented between the toes is called “athlete’s foot “when it appears on the body called” Tinea corporis “, when applied to the nails is called” tinea unguium “when it affects the scalp is called “tinea capitis” and when it affects the groin area is called “tinea cruris“. Here, I’ll discuss, how to treat ringworm in children?
How to treat ringworm in children ?
Ringworm is mostly treatable when it affects the skin. Skin should be kept clean and is recommended to apply powders, lotions or topical antifungal creams. These products generally contain miconazole and clotrimazole. You can also use the anti-fungal cream containing terbinafine. The creams are available without a prescription. And it is also imperative to wash bath sheets and towels or shower every day for the duration of the infection. Visit your doctor immediately if signs of bacterial infection are presented as swelling, hot to touch, sudden worsening in redness of skin patches, red streaking, pus, discharge, and fever. These additional infections may occur as a result of scratching.
Wash bedding, rug or carpet, clothing and towels in hot water. Sterilize combs plus brushes. Utilize bleach if possible. It is important not to share combs, brushes and buckles or hairpins, especially during the ringworm infection. If a child suffers from ringworm, often want to scratch which can further irritate the affected area. As such, it is recommended to try distracting him from itching through activities that involve the use of hands or work with crayons or paints.
Some home remedies to treat ringworm in children
1. Develop a kind of homogeneous ointment 15 grams of pepper powder and 100 grams of lard; apply on the affected part in morning and evening.
2. Crush 7 cloves of garlic and pour in 1 liter of water. Simmer for 20 minutes. Take away from fire and let it cool down. Wash and rub affected area at least 3 times a day.
3. Boil for 5 minutes, 3 tablespoons lime flowers in a cup of water. Remove from heat and let it cool down. Rub the affected area 3 times a day.
4. Apply 1 tablespoon of oil extracted from the seed of the avocado; useful for ringworm area located at the scalp.
5. Crush several fresh leaves of watercress, boil in 1 cup of water for 15 minutes and apply the same way over your child head, it will help to treat ringworm in children.
6. Chop the peach leaves and mix with honey to make a paste. Apply on the head, put a plastic cap and leave on all night. In the morning, wash the head.
7. Apply several times a day, tea tree oil which is considered a powerful antifungal, using a cane or cotton ball, it’s effective to treat ringworm in children.
8. Mix juice of ½ lime with a little turmeric powder to a smooth dough (if too thick add a little water) and apply directly on the affected area.
Do follow these remedies, regarding how to treat ringworm in Children, and share your feedback with us.